Global Challenge: One Days Wages

For the week four challenge, we were supposed to go global and find a cause or piece of history to write about. I chose One Days Wages.

One Days Wages is a program and movement of  “people, stories, and actions to alleviate extreme global poverty.” The facts that are said on One Days Wages website are startling. 25,000 children under the age of 5 die each day due to poverty related causes. Unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of all sickness and disease, and kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war

The site provides many ideas for causing a difference in extreme global poverty.  A few that stood out out to me were to birthday for a cause, idea for a cause, work for a cause, and group for a cause. One motivational example is Justin, a partner with One Days Wages. Justin biked 2,000 miles from Canada to the border of Mexico for awareness of Human Trafficing. He also helped raise $9,414. This story is one that really touched me. He made a huge difference that I admire his actions.

Another way to help One Days Wages is to go on their site and calculate your wage. As little as 0.4% of your wage can provide a person with clean water for twenty years, pay for a child’s tuition, and provide a sewing machine and job training for a woman. I encourage everybody who reads this to at least visit the site and hopefully donate or birthday for a cause, work for a cause, group for a cause, and idea for a cause.

One Days Wages

Student Challenge Blog

Here is a video I found on the site: